Monday, October 15, 2012

Delight In Today


I've noticed as each night begins, I hold Gage and look at his sweet face as if I have been deprived of it all day. Each frustration I had prior to bedtime and every challenge of parenthood just fly away. I look at my son and see the face of pure innocence. It takes my heart to a place that I can't explain. The innocence won't last forever, but I'm breathing it in while I can.




I've said, for a while now, that I can't hear God. I would tell Matthew, "Along with hardly being able to hear people, I must be deaf to God too". Had I done something so awful that He had to stop speaking to me? I would pray. There was silence. I would listen. Nothing. It would upset me deeply because I didn't understand.

Recently, I have felt the phrase "Delight in today" come out of nowhere. Just those three, very simple words. Not to sound dramatic, but I honestly would feel this gentle whisper in the most impacting way.

Delight: 1: a high degree of gratification : joy; also: extreme satisfaction.

Take delight in today. Be satisfied with today...Delight in today.


I'm beginning to think that I never stopped hearing God, I just never recognized when He was speaking to me. I stopped crediting Him for the "inspiring thoughts" I was having. But these words have stilled my heart. I feel them in the moment when my mind is speeding down my to-do list and I am rushing about my day, but, most often, the words come to my heart when I look at my son. He looks at the fan and grins, kicks, and grabs his toes. Lets out a chuckle, a few babbles, and reaches for the nearest thing that he can put into his mouth. He certainly takes delight in the day. While seeing his pure delight, I hear the words spoken again.

God is speaking to me and I hear Him and, that too, takes my heart to a place that I can't explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment