Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Safe Haven

When Matthew and I were about to get married, I told him that I didn't really want to have tv. He wasn't sold and said that we needed to have at least basic cable to keep up with the world and I responded by pointing out that junk comes on even the most basic channels. We have now concluded that internet is enough to stay in touch because on tv commercials can be bad enough on their own, kids shows have so many innuendos, and just flipping through channels is a dangerous feat. When I said I didn't want to have tv, I really meant it, but it was somewhat unnerving to do something against the "norm". Even for something this simple.

  • We didn't have cable at the trailer because we were only living there temporarily. 
  • We had cable while living with my father-in-law and mother-in-law, and I was addicted to the food channel; I didn't know how I was going to live without it! 
  • Now that we're in our house we're too broke cable isn't a priority. When we do get something, it'll probably be Netflix. 

 I was afraid of how I would do without the "noisemaker", but the tv has only been on 5-10 times in the almost 2 months that we've lived here. There are many movies and shows that we have to be watched and even more cds to listen to. No thanks, though. I've actually gotten to where too much sound/noise is overwhelming for me, I can't seem to focus! Matthew put in a cd one day to listen to while we were cleaning and I kept asking him to turn it down...turn it down...just turn it off. That's a sign that I'm getting old, right?

I could even listen to the radio, but I keep forgetting about it. So my home doesn't have music playing, actors speaking, or unnecessary images pouring in through a screen.

As I sit here, I hear the washer go off, the baby monitor buzz, and cars passing by the house. Oh, and me typing this. Throughout the day, I hear my child scream, squeal, and laugh. My mom on the other end of the phone and my phone receiving texts. My husbands voice and the quiet in between.

I'm not afraid of silence, though I was afraid that I would be afraid! In such a busy world,  it's my goal for me to make sure our home is a safe haven. Trying to make it a calming environment, from the sounds that are about it, to my attitude that I have in it.

What are ways that you've made your home a "safe haven" for you and your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment