I started making Baby Gage's food when he turned 5 months old and since then I have made him banana, zucchini, squash, carrot, pear, persimmon, pea, and sweet potato baby food! The kitchen is my favorite place in the house, so this is something that I thoroughly enjoy. Of course, there is the health perks of making fresh baby food and it is also very kind to our wallets. I bought zucchini at the farmers market for $3.50 and made 42 ounces of baby food leaving me with spending 0.33 cents per 4 ounce jar. THAT makes me happy!
Matthew's mom, sister-in-law, and grandma went in together to buy us a Baby Bullet and I have loved using it! Homemade baby food became a lot less intimidating to me as a first time mom after receiving that gift.
Baby Bullet in hand, along with a rice steamer given by my mom, ice cube trays bought at the dollar store, and some ziploc baggies? I'm ready to rock out some baby food!
Sweet Potato Puree:
You'll need to peel the potato since their little bellies can't handle all
of the fiber in the peeling yet.
Chop it up however you please.
Throw into a steamer and go about your life for 35 minutes.
Come back and check tenderness by stabbing with a fork.
Toss the sweet potato and add about a cup of water into your blender or food processor.
Blend until your have your desired consistency of pureed baby goodness.
Spoon puree into ice cube trays, cover trays well with plastic wrap, and put them into the freezer until they have frozen solid.
Food for Thought: 1 ice cube = 1 ounce
Label your bag with what it is and the date it was made.
Put the potato cubes in the bag and you're done! Now you have plenty of sweet potato readily available in your freezer for whenever your kiddo wants an orange face.
I ended up with 24 ounces from one medium-large sweet potato resulting with 0.25 cents for a 4 ounce jar of baby food! Not bad at all in my book.
I didn't intend to make baby food just to save money, but it is definitely a benefit. A benefit that I never would have noticed before having to buy diapers!
Do you make your little ones' food?
What are some ways you cut corners with baby expenses without cutting the quality?









No comments:
Post a Comment