Friday, September 28, 2012

Simple Saturdays: KISS

In case you haven't heard it before, KISS is the acronym for:

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

 

The first time that I heard that used was in my karate class during self defense practice. Some students were making the take downs harder than they had to be. Others were trying to use fancy techniques in efforts to look awesome. Then they would be overcome by the "attackers" and they didn't look so awesome anymore. So my instructor say to remember to KISS. It got a lot of laughs, but it definitely stuck!

For me, a simple life correlates with a frugal life. I am greeting frugal living with a lot less tension and dread now. So even when we become filthy rich (hahahahaha!), I plan to continue pursuing this lifestyle. With less wanting and more "making do" with what I have, I find myself pursuing things that I never would have given a second thought: Cloth napkins? Cloth diapers!? Re-usable toilet paper!?!?

No re-usable toilet paper...Just no.

But I am in the middle of sewing some cloth napkins out of some scrap material that my mom gave me, I just got my supplies to start on diapers, and I have even considered making flannel baby wipes. I also plan to start putting Gage's frozen food into containers instead of plastic baggies (because I use those things like they're going out of style). The only thing that I haven't gone fully Eco-friendly with is grocery bags. We shop at Aldi, so we have to use re-usable bags then, but at Wal-mart they tend to put nearly one item in each bag, so they make up for the bags I don't get at Aldi.

Have you ever seen the Disney movie Wall-e? This may be taking it to extremes, but when I last watched it, it occurred to me that we could really be pushing this beautiful world that God so lovingly created for us...To a pile of trash.

Daily life and simple sorting:


I think that it's a good general rule to live by that my recycle bin should be more full than my trash can. Make sure that you're recycle bin is conveniently placed! You're more likely to do it if it's practical for you. Also, switch to as many re-usable items as you can. That way, you spend less money replenishing, making you more frugal and therefore...living simply.

Like how I circled that around?

What are some ways that frugal living simplified your life?  

No comments:

Post a Comment